CQ Energy is a multi-faceted energy business with a proven record of delivering value to our clients in the energy sector. We work with our clients to achieve optimal commercial solutions in electricity, gas and renewable energy.
We are committed to delivering exceptional services to our clients across our three core service lines of Advisory, Operations and Risk Transfer.
Our advisory services are commercially focused and are backed with extensive practical experience and knowledge. Our client focused approach leverages the expertise and knowledge of the CQ Energy practitioners to develop the optimal solution whilst also ensuring the client remains in control of the project. Our advisory services includes the following:
- Energy strategy and analysis
- Energy contracting and tender processes
- Hedging strategies for customers
- Merchant and hedging strategies for energy assets
- New entrant retail and generation strategy and licensing
- New entrant market registrations for customers
- Behind the meter conventional and renewable generation projects
- Energy efficiency and auditing
- Due diligence on energy acquisitions
- Power purchase agreements and structure off-take agreements
- Electricity network analysis and tariff alignment
- Energy price forecasting
- Demand management
- Energy market regulatory affairs
Go to the full Advisory page
CQ Energy is the largest independent operator across the various energy markets in Australia on behalf of clients. CQ Energy provide operational services to over 2500MW of power generation assets in the NEM and the Western Australia power market. In the east coast gas markets, CQ Energy provides operational services for over 200TJ per day for its commercial and industrial clients.
We provide operational services in the following markets:
- Short Term Trading Market (gas)
- Brisbane Hub
- Sydney Hub
- Adelaide Hub
- Declared Wholesale Gas Market in Victoria
- Gas Supply Hubs in Wallumbilla and Moomba
- Gas Pipelines
- Gas Pipeline Capacity Trading Market
- National Electricity Market
- Wholesale Electricity Market in Western Australia
On behalf of clients, CQ Energy operates multiple electricity generation facilities covering conventional and renewable energy in both the National Electricity Market and the Wholesale Electricity Market.
In addition to providing energy operational services, CQ Energy advises and supports its clients to achieve the best commercial outcomes for their business.
Go to the full Energy Operations page
CQ Energy provides operational services to electricity generators, particularly those that require trading and operational services to be dispatched into the National Electricity Market. CQ Energy currently provides these services to over 2500MW of power generation assets in the NEM and Western Australian power markets. Our services are aimed to ensure generation facilities are properly registered in the market and have appropriate strategies put in place for the bidding and dispatch of that plant to account for any off-take arrangements, renewable certificate creation and sales and minimising risks associated with negative pricing and frequency control ancillary services.
Our Generation Services team works seamlessly with our Advisory, Operations and Risk Transfer teams to deliver value to our clients.
Market Operations Services
- Establishment of AEMO IT interface
- Development of operational capability (bidding and dispatch systems) 24/7 operation with full back up redundancy services
- CQ Energy has developed an automated bidding system that allows our traders to stay in control of a market that is increasingly changing
- The automated bidding system allows us to determine if the generator should be rebid to ensure that in most circumstances it is able to achieve its electricity breakeven price
- Our experienced traders are nevertheless available to manually override the automated bidding system and to also ensure that all communication between AEMO, networks and operators are appropriately handled
- Development of daily/monthly reporting systems
- Development of agreed policies, procedures and dispatch/trading strategy
- Offers of dispatch to AEMO on a 5 minute/half hourly basis
- Offers of availability to AEMO on a 5 minute/half hourly basis
- Interaction with plant operators regarding changes of availability
- Re-bidding of availability to avoid the AEMO non-compliance process (i.e. ensure changes to availability are submitted based on AEMO’s required availability thresholds)
- Re-bidding of dispatch offers to avoid negative prices
- Re-bidding of offers and availability as directed by AEMO in Lack of Reserve scenarios
- Provision of availability data to meet AEMO’s short term PASA requirements
- Provision of availability data to meet AEMO’s medium term PASA requirements
- Provision of end of day daily reports which detail actual to budget outcomes on a daily, monthly and year to date basis along with summary market information (as required) such as spot averages etc.
Go to the full Generation Services page
CQ Energy, in partnership with Risk Solutions International, delivers structured risk management solutions tailored to meet the specific needs of clients. These risk management solutions allow clients to transfer risks to very highly rated international insurance companies.
- Plant Outage Insurance
- Demand Linked Products
- Weather Linked Products
Go to the full Risk Transfer page